Friday, June 26, 2009

Early Evening Blaze

While working today I realized a smallish picnic table had been placed near our parking lot. Citing this as a valid excuse to enjoy the outdoors, I made plans to use the facility for a lunchtime retreat.

As the two o' clock bell rang me into lunch I willfully traveled to our office kitchen, prepared a salad of decent proportions, retrieved my baby carrots, and made my way toward the untreated wood table.

Lunch was very relaxing and took a lot of the day's troubles off of my shoulders. Customers had been calling in and making all sorts of ludicrous demands of me. A woman claimed she would be using two weeks worth of service in the span of the weekend and the fact that a small fraction of her service was nonworking was unacceptable. Suffice it to say, it took one escalation to supervision for her to get her childish way. Another man claimed his service was offered free which doesn't make mush more sense and was equally frustrating.

But while sitting outside I simply enjoyed my sun dried tomatoes and listened to the world unfold around me. Insects flitted about as I forked greens into my mouth and let the pain of ignorance wash from my mind. Every sip of my cherry yogurt consoled me and reminded me that these small distractions were life's way of telling me everything was going to be fine; there are much worse conditions to be in.

I regrettably had to return to my post once the three o' clock bell sounded but I did so with some small renewal of vigor and hope. The rest of the day relaxed and slipped into my control as I loosened my grasp of the bowstring of the day. I sailed through the afternoon and promptly returned home where my girlfriend and I joked about all of the cleaning we had to do at some point over the weekend.

Retrieving the large bag my sister had given me for my twenty-third birthday I found a small aquarium and Ninja Turtle replica. I hope the fish that soon swims in my aquarium finds a good home with us, I know Leonardo has.

Now, I'm listening to The Yardbirds and sipping some Stone IPA. If I'm going to live up to telling people I'm made of fire, I need to continue burning on into the night. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment